Breaking News
‘We must stay on guard,’ warns Legault on Trump’s U.S. tariffs

Quebec Premier François Legault is endorsing endorsing Ottawa’s response, saying any retaliation must be targeted to avoid doing more damage to Canadian industries.
Legault says Canada was “relatively spared” by U.S. President Donald Trump’s move on Wednesday to levy tariffs on most countries, but says the nation must remain “on guard.”
The White House said goods covered by the free-trade deal between Canada, the U.S. and Mexico were exempted from the new round of tariffs, but Trump said he is going ahead with previously announced 25 per cent tariffs on automobile imports starting today.

Prime Minister Mark Carney has announced Canada will match Trump’s 25 per cent auto tariffs with a levy on vehicles imported from the United States, following a meeting with premiers today.
Legault says he doesn’t support dollar-for-dollar counter-tariffs that he believes could hurt Canadians more than Americans, and says Trump “doesn’t need help” doing damage to the U.S. economy.

Get daily National news
Get the day’s top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.
The Quebec premier also wants Canada to renegotiate its free-trade deal with the U.S. and Mexico as soon as the federal election campaign is over, to avoid piecemeal negotiations and remove uncertainty.
Legault says the trade war with the U.S. is an opportunity for Quebec to transform its economy, especially by building new trade ties with Europe.
‘Confident’ in Quebec’s aerospace and aluminum industry strengths despite Trump’s tariffs
At the press conference on Thursday — answering Global News’ Dan Spector — Legault said Quebec has a strong aerospace base with Bombardier, Airbus and one of the largest pools of skilled workers while dismissing any major economic effects from U.S. tariffs and Ontario’s auto sector layoff.
Watch the video above to hear what the premier had to say.
© 2025 The Canadian Press
-
Destination6 months ago
Singapore Airlines CEO set to join board of Air India, BA News, BA
-
Breaking News8 months ago
Croatia to reintroduce compulsory military draft as regional tensions soar
-
Tech News10 months ago
Bangladeshi police agents accused of selling citizens’ personal information on Telegram
-
Breaking News8 months ago
Bangladesh crisis: Refaat Ahmed sworn in as Bangladesh’s new chief justice
-
Gaming8 months ago
The Criterion Collection announces November 2024 releases, Seven Samurai 4K and more
-
Toys8 months ago
15 Best Magnetic Tile Race Tracks for Kids!
-
Guides & Tips8 months ago
Have Unlimited Korean Food at MANY Unlimited Topokki!
-
Toys10 months ago
15 of the Best Trike & Tricycles Mums Recommend